Friday, April 12, 2013

Out with the old, in with the new! (NOT!)

You used to always hear "Out with the old and in with the new" but why out with the old?
The way I see it your already attached to and comfortable with the "old", why not just spruce it up. (I'm talking furniture!)
I have one of the most amazing bargain hunters in my life, my grandma <3 My Aunt Franny and best friend Too Real tie in a close second.....
Anywho, before my birth my grandma searched and found a cute 5 drawer dresser for me. She and my mom cleaned it up and used it for years. As I got a little older my mom updated it, a little fresh paint and drawer liner.



                                                                                                           















    THIS IS IT!! It is super simple but functional and cute. And they put the cutest little knobs on them.



Now luckily they decided not to glue in the liner other wise this project may have been a little harder, They used clear tape, the reason they chose to use tape is their own but in the end it was perfect for me.


So, first I went to Dollar Tree [favorite store ever!] and got a few things. To include:
paint scrapper
rubber palm work gloves
sand paper
paint brushes
shelf liner (non-slip)
drop cloth
and a few other things none of which were needed for this project.

I used the scrapper to get excess paint off the dresser, removed the drawers, then I sanded everything. After sanding, I brushed off the dust and wiped it down with a lint free cloth.

Then I laid out my drop cloth and started painting, main dresser first and then the drawers. Let dry overnight and added another coat the next day. 

                              
this is how it looked on day two, kinda looks like a robot. Ironic that I am putting the dresser through a transformation and it looks like a stick figure transformer. Well... I think so anyway... then again I am just a nerd.

After it completely dried, I coated it in Minwax Polycrylic, added non-slip shelf liner (in light blue and white) and added new knobs.



American Tradition (Valspar) satin paint in Blue Burst
and
Valspar Semi-gloss pain in Ultra White
(both of which my mom already had in her shed - she's awesome)
I got these knobs for less than a $1 from Lowe's, they are GateHouse 1.5 in concave knobs.

In the end a little elbow grease goes a long way. So, No! not "out with the old, in with new."
I say " Go with the old and in the end you'll have gold"

No comments:

Post a Comment