Monday, October 24, 2016

Chalkboard Wall

Chalkboard Wall

 

 For those who may not not know I am a military service member. I don't get much time to craft or sew, I am always on deployment, but when I can I try to craft for my minions. So this particular time I decided to not only make it something that could be fun, but something that could be meaningful. Being stationed overseas you can't always get what you want from the store but here in Japan, you more than likely can find everything you want and things you never knew you wanted. 

I went to a local store called Homes (like a Lowe's or Home Depot meets Bed, Bath & Beyond, meets PetSmart!). I went perusing down the isles until I found the paint. I wasn't sure at first what I wanted to do until I saw at least 4-6 shelves of chalkboard paint and 4 shelves of magnet paint <-- didn't know this one existed. So I picked up a small container of chalkboard paint and a cheap paint roller kit.

Don't be fooled by the English labels, the instructions are definitely in Japanese!

 

  So I began the process. Taping off the area, prepping the paint tray. No my boys' wall recesses for the closet doors so taping off one side was unnecessary. Begin to paint.....


TIP: Always cover the tray with a plastic trash bag of some sort. This makes for an easy clean up and the tray can be reused   
REMEMBER: Tape off anything you don't want painted (i.e Light fixture)

Give your self time to let each layer dry. Most of the posts that I read said to clean the walls first, I would agree with this statement to smooth out the wall(booger, sticker, tape removal) but if it is just marks, I don't feel it necessary if you are covering it with a dark paint color. 

Lay down at least 2-3 coats ***Always ventilate the room, open the windows turn on a fan.....***

TIP: Remove painters tape before final coat dries
In the end you and your loved ones will have fun writing on the walls. For me I get to leave love notes when I leave for work before they wake for school.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment